Installation Steps (Fedora-Linux):
1) Download tar file from: bzip2 tarball
then extract downloaded file.
2) In extracted folder, there is a file name INSTALL, open it with text editor and follow the steps mentioned in it. They are mentioned below along with steps we used for installation:
Go to ffmpeg-2.2.1 directory Using terminal and use ./configure command
Note: Do not forget to use sudo or to be in root directory
If error comes, Use following command
The reason behind using this command is mentioned after entering only ./configure command:
yasm/nasm not found or too old. Use –disable-yasm for a crippled build.
3) Enter command: make
Note: It might take a longer. Keep patience.
Optional: Create a new folder anywhere, here we named it as video, in that create other two folders namely input and output. Copy any video to input folder
After Completion of make command use following command
4) To check the help file for FFMPEG, use man ffmpeg command. It will also confirm that you have installed ffmpeg properly.
Installation on Windows
– Download ffmpeg for windows
– Extract it using .7z software (7z is like .rar file)
– Make “ffmpeg” folder in “Program Files” and copy the extract contents to this folder
– Right click on “My Computer or Computer” , select Properties, select “Advanced System settings”
– Then from that window click on “Environment Variables” button, in User Variables part of the window create or edit the PATH variable and set variable value to “C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin” then press OK
Note: To check whether ffmpeg is working or not, in command prompt type “ffmpeg – version”, if it was successfully installed it will give some information about version of ffmpeg.
NPTEL Video Lecture by Prof S N Merchant, from IIT Bombay. The lecture is on Transform Coding
NPTEL Video Lectures by Prof S N Merchant, from IIT Bombay, on Vector Quantization